Making window gel clings is a very cute and easy way to decorate for holidays and seasons. This recipe for Halloween window clings is easy to follow, nontoxic, and can even be used as a hands-on Halloween science experiment for a classroom party!
*This post contains affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy.
Making Halloween Window Clings
Once we had all of our ingredients together we followed these instructions to make our Halloween gel clings:
- Add gelatin all at once to the hot water. Use a whisk to stir to make sure it all dissolves. Spoon out any bubbles.
- Pour the mixture into the baking sheet. You want it to be about a quarter of an inch thick (½ – ¾ cm). It doesn’t have to be exact, but make sure it is level.
- Once the gelatin mixture has cooled a bit (10-15 minutes), invite the kids over. Have fun dropping food coloring into the gel and swirling it around with a toothpick. For extra flare, sprinkle glitter over the top or add a few beads or googly eyes. (Obviously, these can be a choking hazard to kids who are still putting things in their mouths. Use your best judgement with your own kids!)
- You probably only have about 30 minutes before the gelatin starts to harden, so don’t dawdle!
- When you are done decorating, let the gelatin harden for at least a couple of hours. Leaving it out uncovered overnight yields the best results.
- Once it has set, use cookie cutters to cut out shapes or cut out your own shapes using a butter knife.
- Use a spatula to carefully lift the gel shapes out of the pan. Don’t worry if they tear because you can simply mold them back together on the window. Stick them onto the windows and enjoy!
Looking for more spooky Halloween window clings? Make glow in the dark window clings that are perfect for illuminating mirrors in dark rooms!
More Halloween STEM for Kids
If you are looking for even MORE fun and educational Halloween activities, be sure to check out STEAM Kids Halloween! It contains 50+ pages of spooky fun STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math) activities that will wow the boredom right out of kids!